FC Barcelona legend Ronaldinho’s son Joao Mendes has made his debut for the club against Manchester United.
The Brazilian World Cup winner confirmed that his 17-year-old offspring would follow in his footsteps and don Blaugrana at a Mundo Deportivo gala last week.
As confirmed by SPORT on Thursday afternoon, Joao Mendes made his debut in a friendly against a Manchester United youth team.
He starred in a side that was a mix of La Masia’s Juvenil A and B, and while referring to him as ‘Ronaldinho Junior’, the Catalan daily newspaper said that there were signs that he will need time “to adjust to the Barca style and the European rhythm of the game” following his move from Minas Gerais giants Cruzeiro.
Ronaldinho’s son João Mendes (17) will play for Barcelona, confirmed 🔵🔴🇧🇷 #FCB— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) February 9, 2023
Joan Laporta: “We’re proud to continue the Ronaldinho ‘saga’. His son João will have a contract with us, he’s good — we still don't know if it will be with Juvenil B team”. pic.twitter.com/JVcnlQ81gh
Joao Mendes has huge boots to fill, with his father Barca’s biggest star of the 2000s.
His rise to the Ballon d’Or was made possible through a switch from Paris Saint Germain which president Joan Laporta instigated in 2003, after he had lifted the World Cup with Brazil in Japan the year before.
You were the resurrection of the club,” president Joan Laporta told him at the same MD gala where Ronaldinho wished Xavi Hernandez all the best as head coach.