According to the Associated Press, the investigation began after a woman told police that Alves sexually assaulted her last month in a Barcelona nightclub.
The same day, El País, citing sources familiar with the investigation, said that the woman had relinquished her right to financial compensation if Alves is convicted, saying she “just wants to ensure that justice is done and that the soccer player goes to prison.”
All the publications have reported that Alves went to the Sutton nightclub on Dec. 30 with some friends and stayed into the early hours of the next morning.
The woman did not know who Alves was; she recalled him telling her that he was a pétanque player in a town outside Barcelona, according to all three publications.
That is where, according to all three publications, the woman told authorities that Alves sexually assaulted her.
La Vanguardia reported that police have since spoken with people who were at the nightclub that night, and the woman’s friend has told authorities that Alves groped her as well and tried to put his hand on her “intimate areas.”
El País reported that, per judicial sources, Alves gave three different versions of what happened in his testimony.